Information Technology Services
Wireless Internet access at Monash South Africa
Step 1 - Before you start IMPORTANT checks
- Ensure your laptop has a WiFi compatible wireless network adapter and that the DRIVERS are installed.
- To access Monash-Wireless-Net, you need a current, working Monash AUTHCATE computer account.
- Ensure that your Wireless adapter is ENABLED:
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections
- You should see your wireless adapter in the list and it should be set to Enabled. If it isn't, right click on it and set it to Enabled.
- Some machines have a separate switch on the laptop that turns the wireless adapter on and off. Consult the user's guide for the laptop and ensure this is switched on.
- Ensure that all FIREWALLS are disabled (both Windows and Anti-virus firewalls).
Step 2 - Register your laptop´s wireless network adapter
- Find the Ethernet (hardware / physical) address of the wireless adapter
- Go to Start > Run>
- Type CMD and click OK
- A black box with white text will appear
- In this box, type IPCONFIG /ALL
- Depending on the number and / or types of network adapters fitted to the laptop, the information displayed may be in several sections, referring to the different network adapters present on the machine.
- Locate the section referring to the Wireless Network Adapter (you may need to scroll back through the text using the drag bar to locate this section).
- Under the wireless section, look for a line starting "Physical Address", eg: Physical Address. . . . . . .: 00-40-96-AE-AE-F3
- Removing the hyphens ('-'), results in 004096AEAEF3. This is the address which must now be registered.
In MAC OS:
- From the Apple Menu, select "System Preferences".
- Select the "Network" icon
- Select "AirPort" from the "Show" Pop-up menu.
- Select the "TCP/IP" tab
- The number next to AirPort ID is a 12 digit hexadecimal number separated by colons (in the form XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX). This is the computer's AirPort (wireless) MAC address.
Register your wireless adapter
Register online at: https://webnet.its.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/addhost/register
- Enter your AUTHCATE username and password
- You should see a hostname similar to: -wlan-self.faculty.Do not use -wired-self.faculty as this is for Residence Internet.
- Enter the Ethernet address of your adapter (without any hyphens or spaces)
- Enter your contact email address or cell phone number
- Click Register.
Card registration takes one hour to process. After this time has elapsed, you can continue to steps 3 & 4.
Step 3 Connect to Monash-Wireless-Net
Attach and authenticate to the Monash South Africa network:
- Double click on the Wifi icon, next to your clock on the task bar (or right-click on Wifi icon to connect).
- Then connect to "Monash-Wireless-Net".
- Visit any website in your Internet browser and you will be redirected to a webpage (like below) for authentication. Enter your Authcate credential for Internet access.
- No web browser Proxy settings required.